Faculty & Staff Positions
HOW TO APPLY
Search the Barnard staff career site for "Biology Department Teaching Assistant." The direct link to the application will be posted shortly.
The teaching assistant will participate in the biology department course BIOL BC1502 Introductory Cell and Molecular Biology. Teaching assistants will be responsible for attending lectures and assisting undergraduate students navigate the course material through in-class discussions, weekly office hours, and occasional exam review sessions. In addition, teaching assistants will meet on Barnard’s campus to grade exams 3 times over the course of the semester.
This is a tutorial version of the teaching assistantship that entails grading and regular meetings with students during extended weekly office hours but no teaching of discussion sections. Appointments entail five to ten hours of weekly effort attending lectures, holding office hours, reviewing course materials and grading. Assistantships are not hourly wage appointments. Expected effort is approximate and averaged across the semester. Appointments may be canceled through the conclusion of the final registration period for the semester if there is insufficient enrollment in the course.
- Attend all lectures MW 11:40-1:00 for Spring 2024 semester
- Hold weekly office hours with one extra office hour before each exam (3 exams total)
- Grade course assignments and assessments
- Assist the course instructor with administration and various instructional tasks, such as the development and management of electronic materials
Undergraduate degree in Cell Biology, Molecular Biology or related field
Currently enrolled in a graduate degree program
Previous teaching experience at the undergraduate level
$4,000 per course, per semester
How to apply:
Submit a CV and a cover letter at the following link: https://careers.barnard.edu/postings/6632
The Department of Biology at Barnard College seeks an individual to teach one or more semester-long courses in Computational Biology. Applicants should electronically submit a cover letter, a CV, and contact information for three references.
Applicants are expected to have acquired a Ph.D. prior to September 2023 and to have obtained teaching experience at the college level.
$12,000 for each 3+ -credit course
Upcoming Employment Opportunities
- The biology department plans to search for a computational biology term professor. This instructor will begin in Fall 2024.
- The biology department looks for adjunct professors based on the instructional needs for each semester. The pay rate for adjunct professors in the 2023-2024 academic year will be $12,000 per course for each course with at least three credits and $7,920 per course for each course under 3 credits.
- Depending on staffing needs, the biology department may hire a lab associate to teach one or two lab sections of our intro biology class (Bachelor's degree required, master's degree and college-level teaching experience preferred). These staff members will be paid $4260 for one lab section and $7910 for two.
Date this page was last updated: 12/5/2023