This major is run by faculty in the Department of Neuroscience. It provides a strong background in the biological underpinnings of behavior and cognition.
Students electing this major are exposed to basic courses in Neuroscience, in addition to those in Biology and Psychology. Majors must choose between one of two concentrations: Behavioral Neuroscience or Cellular Neuroscience.
To elect the major in Neuroscience and Behavior, a student must have earned an average grade of B- or better in the introductory sequences required for the Biology, Psychology, and Chemistry requirements. As an alternative to the Neuroscience and Behavior major, students may pursue an interdisciplinary program by majoring in either Biology or Psychology and taking a minor in the other discipline.
There are no minors in Neuroscience & Behavior.
Questions can be directed to the Department Administrator, Michele Miozzo (email@example.com).
|One year of introductory Biology with lab at the 1500-level sequence
|BIOL BC3362 Molecular & Cellular Neuroscience
|BIOL BC3363 Lab in Molecular & Cellular Neuroscience*
|PSYC BC1001 Introduction to Psychology
|PSYC BC1119 Systems & Behavioral Neuroscience
|PSYC BC1118 Systems & Behavioral Neuroscience Lab*
|One year of introductory Chemistry including one semester of Organic Chemistry each with their co-requisite labs
|PSYC BC1101 Statistics and its co-requisite recitation - OR - BIOL BC2286 Statistics & Research Design
NSBV BC3593 + NSBV BC3594 Research Seminar in Neuroscience & Behavior
*Students are expected to take one of these two associated laboratory courses.
Courses required for the Behavioral Concentration (only):
- BIOL BC2280 Animal Behavior
- PSYC BC2106 + PSYC BC2107 Psychology of Learning and its co-requisite lab
Courses required for the Cellular Concentration (only):
- BIOL BC2100 Molecular & Mendelian Genetics
- BIOL BC3310 Cell Biology
- and one of the following: BIOL BC2801 Laboratory in Genetics, BIOL BC3303 Laboratory in Molecular Biology, BIOL BC3305 + BIOL BC3306 Project Lab in Molecular Genetics, or BIOL BC3311 Laboratory in Cell Biology
And lastly, two electives from the following list are required:
- BIOL BC2100 Molecular & Mendelian Genetics (Behav. Conc. only)
- BIOL BC3310 Cell Biology (Behav. Conc. only)
- BIOL BC2280 Animal Behavior (Cell. Conc. only)
- BIOL BC2278 Evolution
- BIOL BC3360 Physiology
- BIOL BC3352 Development
- CHEM BC3282 -OR- CHEM BC3283 Biological Chemistry I or II
- PSYC BC1107 Psychology of Learning (Cell. Conc. Only)
- PSYC BC2177 Psychology of Drug Use & Abuse
- PSYC BC3164 Perception & Language
- PSYC BC3369 Language Development
- PSYC G4232 Production & Perception of Language
Neuroscience & Behavior
- NSBV BC2154 Hormones & Reproductive Behavior
- NSBV BC2180 Neurodevelopmental Processes & Cognitive/Behavioral Disorders
- NSBV BC3367 Transformative Landmarks in Neuroscience
- NSBV BC3376 Psychobiology of Infant Development
- NSBV BC3380 Cognitive Neuroscience
- NSBV BC3383 Neuropharmacology & Behavior
- NSBV BC3392 Psychobiology of Stress
- NSNV BC3394 Neurobiology of Social Behavior
- NSBV BC3396 Topics in Systems Neuroscience
- PSYC BC3397 Neural Modulation